Friday, February 9, 2007

Morning 10-2-07

After I post the last B-log, the night. I sleep and get up. As usual. And I am back in the same place. It is dawn. The sky brightens up. I mount my 2000 Yashica 7*300, adjust the shutter speed, focus this majestic coconut palmand shoot atintervals. Yesterday evening, in between the writing, I am sorry, I was doing the same thing with the new D 40, a Nikon which I had shunned for a large branding 'Y'. Then it left the market of Digital SLRs, crowded with seven giant producers. but the way it works! Wonderful. All Wonderful. It is morning. Tonight is whole night music, Raag...Rangi...Raat, the first of its kind in Kerala. Ramesh does it. He is a Malayalee, the only one of that sort who can claim a credible Guru. Pt. Jasraj himself introduced him as his worhty disciple. The Great Guru came down to Kerala, that too, to its distant south, the great pitha of Kerala's Music, Trivandrum. An avt of charity. That is the difference. You will tell it is business acumen. Ramesh Narayanan is introduced by the Doyan of Music in front of a choice audience who had sat there many years ago. When the venerated His Highness Swathi Thirunal, the Musician King of Travncore, sang bhajans to them. Ramesh, really a Guru on his own merits now, is collecting them. Lent a ear and pay some money. That is business. But sir, Music is not that. Oh! God how can I think that Krishna's sweet Meera sang from village to village for money? Oh! no. I do not write like that. though it is true that Krishna Sweets conducted the first of a few mega programmes of music in this bubbling city. Jesudas sang Carnatic Music and of course a few film songs as well. That was also the first major programme of the new, renovated TDM Hall. Our own sweet, ever young singer jesudas who had, like a dream, like a love, a whiff of melting nostalgia, who had shaped our sensibilities, was indeed the apt person to do it. And the series of mega programmes culminated in Zakir Hussain playing in the lawns of a palace built by the Dutch and used by the British. then Gundecha brothers, as a family sang without any gimmick lighting or sounding and noe\w Rameshji is organising a whole night music. I am waiting impatiently. But a whole day is there before that. Second Saturday. It is seven in the morning now. I am going gardening. Lat weekend was the MAX thing. Both Saturday and Sunday full. My Lord Manage my time, for all times are thine. Amen.

No comments: